Not Warp Speed



I'm not sure where the term "warp speed" -- as in extremely fast, so Star Trek-fast that you zip from one universe to the next in less time than it takes to type this, less time, in probability, than it takes to blink your eyes. Because warping a loom is a slow, deliberate process. About as far away as you can get from thos satisfying traverses across millions of miles of space and time in a fictional warp speed. (Caveat: there may be a real science principle at work here. but I majored in English.) This, then, is my 4-harness Schacht loom, which I bought with money from returned wedding presents, 33 years ago, in the process of being warped.



Here are some of the 400 threads, being individually threaded through the heddles (a long rectangular strip of metal with an eye in the center for threading).
 








This is a page from Marguerite Davison's Handweaver's Pattern Book. Published in the fifties, I think, it's a recipe book of old weaving drafts, or patterns, for 4-harness loom. I using the Finnish Twill pattern. I've used this one before for towels and napkins and I like it (despite having no Finnish heritage).




And more slow: jigsaw puzzle.

Comments